The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sometimes I Bore Myself

I just finished writing a review of the 2011 Ford Fiesta. Roughly more than two weeks have passed since I wrote my last car review. I had a little spurt of work that required my undivided attention; so my car reviewing took a backseat.

My procrastination, however, was more involved than that. I calculate that since I began writing car reviews for publication in 1986 or so, I've cranked out, let's see, carry the 1, ummm...nearly 2,000 of them. Yikes, I'm tired.

Let's face it, there are only so many creative ways to say a vehicle has an engine, transmission, interior, four wheels and a trunk. Have I used them all? Probably and many of them more than once. Every once in a while I get to talk about something new when it first appears. Antilock brakes added a new twist for about a year when first introduced. Bluetooth and integrated iPod hookups were two more new features to explain. But most of the time, it's the same old, same old: horsepower, torque, comfort, handling...ZZZZZZZ....

Some vehicles are just more fun to write about than others. Getting geared up and excited to write about an entry-level econobox requires having a real pep talk with myself. "You can do it, you big lug. You're a professional...." Scribbling a few words about the Audi R8, on the other hand, happens almost without thought.

All in all, though, sometimes I bore myself with what I'm writing about a car. It's sad when you put yourself to sleep. Wait, it's not just when writing about cars. Wake me up when it's over........

No comments:

Post a Comment