The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 2 of the Great Greenville Blizzard

We are now well into day 2 of the great Greenville Blizzard of 2011. We did get some sleet yesterday, which was just enough to put a layer of ice over everything. If anything, being on the road today is a bit more dangerous than yesterday.

The best aspect of this mini ordeal is that it has given me the opportunity to pull a bunch of my winter clothes out of the cedar chest. I'm getting to wear some boots and snow pants that I haven't worn since my days of working for Discover America. Although I lived in Florida, I'd get to a snowbound location once or twice every winter: Canada, upper Maine, Minnesota and so forth. I'm finding winter wear that I forgot I even had.

I woke up this morning to find some genius had driven down the hill in front of my house, lost control and ended up across the opening to my driveway with one of his front wheels (a front-wheel-drive-car, of course) trapped in the open culvert that runs along the front of my property. I can't imagine what this fool found so important as to take him out on the ice-covered roads in the middle of the night. I'm just happy he didn't take out my mailbox. He did leave a note on my door listing his name and phone number. It also included a request not to have him towed. In this sort of weather, his POS would have had to sit here for a day or two before I became concerned enough to have him towed (or in this case call him).

Thankfully Ford brought an all-wheel-drive Explorer by early this afternoon for me. I used it to drive the two miles to the grocery store to return two Red Box movies I rented Sunday night. It's a bit of an adventure getting up the hill to the main road, but not too bad after that. I am now preparing to head to the gym. I've got two weeks of holiday gluttony to work off. We all have our priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment