The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rain Drives Me Into a Movie Theater: My Take on Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Yesterday I did something I don't do very often and went to the movies.

It was a nasty, rainy day in Greenville; I had out-of-town company; and I decided to hang out in the dark for three hours.

Having read the book, I was Jonesing to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.



I wasn't disappointed.

As a guy, I didn't mind the couple of brief glimpses of nudity nor the sporadic violence. Warning, though, there is a rather graphic rape scene that isn't for the feint of heart. Otherwise, it could almost be a PG13.

At two and a half hours, it didn't seem particularly long as I was watching it. This despite the fact the first 30 minutes was a bit slow.

I never saw the subtitled version. As much as I wanted to see this book as a film, I can't abide subtitles. I know people who have seen it and raved about the spot-on performance of the actor portraying the female lead character. I thought the English version was pretty spot-on, but can't make a comparison.

There aren't any laughs or much else that will have you feeling uplifted as you exit the theater. However, it's a good way to burn up a few hours on a miserable afternoon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the second book make its film debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment