The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Lazy Week in New Mexico or How to Nap Away a Vacation

As much as I would like to tell you what the weather is like in New Mexico, you can know as much as I do by watching the Weather Channel. That is to say, I haven't been out of my sister's house in two days. I haven't so much as looked out a window.

Historically, I channel my caveman whenever I visit my sister. I nap, I read, I over eat, and I soak up hearth and home.

By its very nature, Christmas is more family intensive than my visits other times of the year. This Christmas, however, is more family based than most Christmases. After the family being together on Christmas, the day after, all of the local family members gathered here to celebrate my sister's birthday that was actually Dec. 21.

Tonight, this same collection of relatives will converge on my favorite Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque for dinner. This has become, not only a Christmas tradition, but a regular part of my sporadic visits throughout the year.

Tomorrow night we are going to the home of one of sister's daughters to celebrate her husband's birthday.

All of this celebrating and partying is tough duty, but somehow I will rise to meet the challenge, despite it interrupting my napping. As you may or may not know, I'm not a professional, but I am a gifted amateur.

I haven't been totally ignoring my work responsibilities while vacationing. Between eating everything that isn't nailed down and snatching catnaps, I revised an assignment for my largest client. Today, I will punch up a piece I submitted to another client last week.

One negative -- and there are a lot of them -- of being a freelancer is that if I'm not working, I'm not making any money. I have another project I should be working on, but I may not so much as crack it until I get home.

In the meantime, I'll work to finish reading the second book of this trip. I wonder what's for lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment