The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Be Still My Heart: A Sandwich Guaranteed to Block Your Arteries

Okay, I'm not proud of it, but my dinner last night was a coronary-inducing, blood-pressure rocketing, artery-clogging monster of a sandwich that was better than it looked; and it looked darned good.

I went to Nose Dive on Main Street in Greenville to meet several Florida friends. There is a sandwich on the menu that's one of the best I've ever eaten. Yes, it is that good.

Its a grilled, thick-bread sandwich with ham, Gruyere cheese and mustard covered in Mornay Sauce and topped with a fried egg. I could hear my bathroom scale groan 8 miles away. Or I would have heard it had my ears not been ringing like the bells of St. Mary's from my rising blood pressure.

The name of this concoction is "Croque Madame." It has the same number of calories and cholesterol content as a 10-gallon barrel of pork lard.



Of course I also had to have the fries cooked in duck fat. I'm not sure what duck fat is exactly or which part of the duck is squeezed to produce it; but it sounded like the perfect compliment for a sandwich engineered to clog the most robust cardiovascular system.

Oh, and they were deeeelicious.

The cost for this feast was a paltry eight bucks. I'm sure it won't seem like such a bargain when I'm being sliced open to replace a petrified aorta, but for now I am basking in my financial good fortune.

I went to the gym this morning and worked off the fries; it will take me until July 4th weekend to overcome the damage I did with the sandwich.

Maybe a salad is in order as tonight's dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment