The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When It Comes to the National Anthem, Just Sing the Damn Song!

Okay, I admit that I'm a little conservative in my politics. By definition, then, I am also somewhat patriotic. But I don't think it much matters where you land on the political spectrum to be unhappy with Christina Aguilera's butchering of the national anthem. And butchering it was.

About all I know of Aguilera is that she was a Mouseketeer in the 90s along with Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. I can't name a song she has made famous. I have no real opinion of her character one way or the other. I had heard her sing before Sunday's debacle and I do think she has a terrific voice. Her performance on Sunday was a criminal misappropriation of talent

I am not so upset with her apparently unintentional substitution of one line of the lyrics, which she said she forgot, as with her interpretive warbling. Why can't these people just sing the damn song? Perhaps had she concentrated more on remembering the words than "interpreting" the melody, she wouldn't have egg on her face today.

In her defense, I don't think botching the lyrics or bastardizing the tune indicates any lack of patriotism. She may well be a flag-waving, America-first zealot. I don't have a clue. I just don't get why some celebrities feel the need to bring some "style" to a song that really isn't open to creative license. It's the national anthem, not Over the Rainbow, for the love of God! Sing it the way it was written.

I didn't like it when Jose Feliciano butchered it. I didn't like it when Rosanne Barr butchered it. And, I didn't like it when Christina Aguilera butchered it. Perhaps in the future, someone in charge might ask to hear how a celebrity is going to sing it before his or her big moment on camera.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. The national anthem shouldn't be sung like a nightclub torch song. On syllable words are one syllable and don't need to be warbled or yodeled so the come out three or four.

    ReplyDelete