The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why No Blog Yesterday? I Am Only Human!

My failure to blog yesterday wasn't caused by a lack of topic ideas, which is typically the case, but by a time crunch. Hard to believe a man of leisure, such as me, couldn't find 20 minutes to regurgitate a string of prose on a page. However, that was exactly the case.

I may be a man of leisure, defined as such by my ongoing failure to find work, but I am not a man of iron. Late nights take their toll. On Tuesday I traveled the 45 miles from where I am staying in Delray Beach to the Fountainebleau Hotel on Miami Beach for a Subaru driving event.

Thanks to its use as a location in movies -- it's where Goldfinger cheated at cards with a spotter in an upper-level room -- Fountainebleau has a bit of legendary status. Describing it as sprawling, doesn't do it justice. It is huge. Trading on its legend, it attracts a significant convention business; Subaru was just one of five or six groups meeting there at the time, and certainly the smallest. Guest rooms aren't opulent, but tasteful and equipped with a working computer for Internet connections at no extra charge. The only thing missing to qualify as a true business hotel is an in-room coffee maker. I can't work in the morning without my coffee.

After cocktails and a wonderful dinner at the hotel's Italian restaurant, three of the Subaru PR people and me decided to try out one of the nightclubs located in the hotel. This is where the "iron man" reference comes into play. The joint didn't even open until !

By the time the doors opened, 150 people were lined up to get in. By the time we walked into the place, we had been at for more than five hours. Fountainebleau has the reputation of having one of the top-ten nightclubs in the world. Sadly, it wasn't open the night I was there. We were in its recently opened companion club.

Of the 150 people who beat us in there, 125 of them, it seemed, were hot women. The crowd rapidly grew, but the ratio of beautiful women stayed about the same. Only in Miami Beach!

The music thumped: BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM….The same tune or what could pass for it was resonating in 50 other clubs located within a few blocks. Flocks of people gyrated in every open space. It was a blast!!!

I finally got back to my room and into bed around . My phone alarm set for , I was poised to take advantage of the Internet hook up and 17-inch monitor to crank out a little work before the breakfast on Wednesday. Some one said that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions -- I was in the express lane.

I didn't see , nor did I see . I did drag myself into the restaurant a little before . I barely had time to throw my stuff in my suitcase and get down to the lobby for the presentation and vehicle walk-around. The rest of the morning was filled with a drive to the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo. We lunched there and then drove back to the hotel.

In a nutshell, that is why I didn't blog yesterday. Because today is St. Paddy's Day, I wanted to knock this out early. Toasting St. Patrick during the day and a Kenny Chesney concert tonight, I knew I couldn't invoke the "iron man defense" again tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment