The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Painting My Way to Florida

I've been in Florida for a while painting the house of some friends. Money actually changed hands -- from them to me. Why would I do that? you might ask. Well, I can always use the money and it was an excuse to make the trip to Fla.

This is a recently purchased home that the previous owners had actually recently painted. Every room was painted white in what appeared to be nothing more than whitewash. It must have cost them $5 a gallon.

A few years ago I had painted two or three rooms in my friends' previous home, apparently much to their satisfaction. They brought me back.

I am a deliberate and meticulous artisan. I could never paint for a living because I am just too damn slow. I tape everything and use an edger as well.

Tick-tock.

I painted five rooms that included two bathrooms and it took me roughly 45 hours. Only the great room with its vaulted ceilings could be considered large.

Did I mention that I'm slow?

The great room was a particularly tiring undertaking. It required a 12-foot ladder that I was probably up and down 60 or 70 times. Up the ladder, paint a foot or so, down the ladder to get more paint, up the ladder, paint a foot or so, down the ladder to get more paint and move the ladder. On and on it went.

I have no idea when the last time was you were up and down a 12 foot ladder 70 times, but on about trip 40, I was beat and my thighs ached.

I was happy, happy, happy when I was able to fold up this holdover from the Inquisition and dump it back in the garage.

I have a couple of walls in my own home which I made repairs to the drywall and have yet to repaint. I'm in no hurry to tackle that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment