Kristin

Kristin
My buddy Kristin, with whom I'll be shooting some BEER2WHISKEY videos, and me at the awads dinner for this year's Texas Truck Rodeo.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Cracking Up: My Home's Drywall Needs Some Work


My latest home-repair project, er, debacle involves patching some cracks in my drywall.

Precariously balanced on a hill, my old house is suffering from some serious settling. It's not sufficiently severe to crack the foundation, but it is doing a number on my interior walls.

I've been looking at some of these fissures for three years or more. Finally, I thought, enough is enough.

I'm not tackling all of them. I would, but I don't have the motivation to paint all of the main-level walls and all that that entails: moving furniture and so forth.

So I settled for repairing the cracks on two walls. When finished -- should that day ever come -- I will paint these walls and the one connecting them a contrasting color to what the rooms are now painted. I have that color all picked out; that was the easy part.

I am at least somewhat capable of doing a passable patching job. The secret to repairing cracks in drywall is using several uber-thin coats of mud and sanding each thoroughly. With each coat, use a wider knife, and things should turn out all right.

My problem is that every time I think I'm ready to paint, I find another crack I hadn't noticed. I'm beginning to believe that I will never be done.

Find a new crack, drag out all the drywall-finishing paraphernalia, then mud and sand for another three days.

I'm tired of the mess and cleaning up after every application of mud is a real pain in the...well, it's just not much fun.

In fact, I was going to skip blogging today, but decided that the longer I sit at my keyboard, the longer I can put of working on this damn drywall project.

So much for that strategy....

2 comments:

  1. That is not to tiring. A good alternative indeed.

    phoenix painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cracks are most often due to excessive application of the mud compound. But you mentioned that you only put a thin layer of it. I’d like to think it is for a quicker drying process. Maybe you might have been pressing the tape a little too hard. In installing a drywall, it is important to relax and develop the touch, pressing the tapes lightly and gliding the knife smoothly.

    Leeanne ^.^

    ReplyDelete