The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Avengers in 3D: Hey, Guy in the Eighth Row, Could You Just Shut Up!



Because I've been trying to find things to do other than work, I went to see Avengers in 3D last week. There are only a few movies that I'm willing to pay the premium for to see in 3D, Avengers is one of those movies.



I mean, come on: Scarlett Johansson in 3D!

It was a matinee. Because it's been in the theaters for two or three weeks, I figured I'd have the theater nearly to myself as I usually do for a matinee. Boy, was I wrong. It wasn't a packed theater, but I had to share it with about 30 other people. I'm used to maybe 5 or 6.

It was a stark reminder as to why I go to weekday matinees rather than evening or weekend showings. Movie audiences are full of boorish jerks.

Some guy and either his girl friend or daughter (I didn't look closely enough to determine an approximate age for either one of them.), came strolling in as the movie was beginning. I don't think anyone should be admitted once the movie starts, but theaters and I don't see eye to eye on this issue.  These two were the sort of inconsiderate jerks you would expect to disrupt the beginning of a movie by coming in late.

This clown talked and laughed his way through the entire 2 hours plus. Yes, there were a few funny moments, but you would have thought this guy was at a Ron White concert. In fact, the last time I saw Ron White in concert, I didn't laugh as often or as uproariously as this jackass did during this movie. Not only did he laugh, but felt the need to comment on everything that happened.

His girlfriend/daughter was somewhat more subdued, but seemed to have a need to offer moral support to the giddy idiot next to her by also laughing at inappropriate times as well. She did keep her comments to herself, so I guess that was one plus.

About the only thing this guy didn't do was make or receive a cell phone call. Otherwise, he was the rudest jerk I've ever been in a movie theater with.

The movie itself was outstanding. Joss Whedon -- of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame -- cowrote and directed, so I expected it to be good. It was better than I hoped.

Lots of action, explosions, and special effects: Everything you want in a 3D flick.



Did I mention Scarlett Johansson in 3D?

Now I'm waiting for the new Batman movie, also in 3D.

I am convinced that 3D is the best way to watch an action movie. Besides, I look quite dashing in Roy Orbison horn rims.

No comments:

Post a Comment