The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Another Baby Step into the Present

Here I am, sitting in my recliner in my living room blogging.

I have made yet another small step into the present: I installed a wireless router in my house.

I've never really needed one; after all, it's just me here. My PC is hardwired into my modem. If I need to do something computer-wise, I just walk six steps down to my office and use my PC.

Three weeks ago I had out-of-town visitors here who had laptops and would have gotten online if they could. I realized at that point that I should consider bringing WiFi to my joint. Then I realized my buddy Jose was due here a few days later, and he'd want online.

But I have so few out-of-town visitors I was having trouble justifying the cash outlay a router would require. Why the heck spend $100 to $150 for something that I only would really need two weeks out of the year?

Groupon to the rescue.  I get promotional e-mails for them every day. Right at the time I was thinking about a router, Groupon had a Belkin for $29 plus $5 shipping. I already had a $10 off coupon from them. Total cost: $24!

I got online and researched the particular model in the offer and found it mostly between $129 and $150. I did find one place offering it for $78 plus shipping. $24 still seemed like a deal.

I pulled the trigger.

I installed it this afternoon and it works like a champ.

Now it's on to a smart phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment