The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Friday, January 20, 2012

South Carolina Primary: Where We Vote on Saturday Because We Are Just Too Darn Busy to Vote on Tuesday



I've never heard of voting on a Saturday, but that's what we're going to be doing -- at least the Republicans will -- tomorrow.

I guess the folks who make decisions about voting dates had other things to do next Tuesday and voting would have interfered.

All the talk about a Republican candidate not winning the nomination without winning the SC primary is more media hype than anything else. If it was an absolute, why bother investing the time, energy and money in all the other primaries? Just let us good old boys here in the Palmetto state pick the candidate and the rest of you could take a breather.

I've never voted in a primary before. At least I don't believe I have. I don't think my lack of experience disqualifies me from voting tomorrow, but I guess I'll find out when I get to my voting place. I'll be going to the Rock of Ages Baptist Church. I hope I don't have to be a Baptist to vote there.

I don't know why I've never voted in a primary, except when I lived in Florida, I traveled a lot. I may have been out of town for the few primaries that I could have participated in. I guess I just didn't think they were important enough to worry with an absentee ballot.

I did vote in general elections by absentee ballot three or four times. Here's what I discovered: When you mark a box with a pencil, there's no opportunity for hanging chads.

I will be going in person tomorrow.

South Carolina has open primaries, which means Democrat, Republican or too lazy to chose a party, you can participate in either the Republican or Democrat primary. It leaves room for all manner of hanky-panky. I'm not a fan of that. But that's the way they do it here.

So while you are lounging around enjoying your Saturday, contributing little or nothing to society, I will be furthering the democratic process by casting my vote.

It's a heavy burden, but I bear it, gladly.

Go Steelers!

No comments:

Post a Comment