The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breaking New Ground: Just Another Week in the Life...

I did two things this week I've never done before. I guess at a certain age there shouldn't be much a person hasn't done other than maybe jump out of an airplane or tryout as a human cannonball.

But I constantly find myself doing things that broaden my horizons. Typically, they are quite mundane and almost every-day occurrences for other people; yet, they are new to me.

I went out to my grill the other evening, prepared to fire it up and grill a chicken breast. It was out of propane. Now what? Any other way I would cook a chicken breast would launch me into uncharted waters. I've only ever cooked one on the grill.

I considered my options as I opened and closed cabinets looking for some miraculous solution to my dilemma. Coming across a bag of flour, I wondered how hard could it be to fry chicken. I'd never attempted it; although I had watched my mother and my sister do it.

I had eggs and oil; I decided I had everything I needed.

I dipped the breast -- a nice, plump Costco one -- in the egg, rolled it around in the flour and tossed it in a frying pan containing about half an inch of oil. I had no clue how long I should fry the thing on each side. I was really shooting from the hip, here.

I busied myself doctoring up a can of baked beans that I also put on the stove. Once the bottom of the breast was brown, I flipped it and fried the other side.

It turned out rather well, even if I say so myself. Obviously there is no one else to say it because I was eating alone. It did, however, turn out pretty darn good. Maybe a little overcooked, but still somewhat moist and very tasty.

I can check that off my bucket list.

The second piece of new ground broken was going to a 3-D movie. With the wave of such movies hitting the theaters in the past couple of years, I suspect pretty much everyone with any interest in going to the movies has seen a 3-D film. Not me.

I've been waiting for just the right one. I mean, there's no point in seeing The Bridges of Madison County, Chocolat or some other film of that ilk in 3-D. Ya gotta see something with a little bit of action, right?



I'm a big fan of the Underworld series. I own the first three films on DVD. C'mon; I'm a guy. Kate Beckinsale in latex, are you kidding me? Of course, I guess pretty much every woman looks good in latex; well, except for Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne Barr.



Anyway, I like the Underworld series and the fourth movie came out last week in 3-D. I saw it in a theater with some sort of extra, hopped up audio system, as well as the 3-D. It cost a whopping $12 for the matinee and another $11 for popcorn and a soda! Unbelievable, $23 for one person to watch a movie and eat a little popcorn swimming in a butter-like substance in the middle of a Monday afternoon.

Cost be damned, I enjoyed it. The 3-D effects were outstanding and Kate looked goooood.

All in all, it was an excellent way to spend a rainy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment