The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Winning an Award Without Really Trying

I'm a wiener!

To say I never win anything would be a fib -- one of somewhat small proportions -- but a fib nonetheless.

In fact, just a couple of months ago I won a whopping four bucks when I matched three numbers on the Power Ball lottery. Whoo-hoo!

I also won an Xbox once, along with several games, at a vendor party when I was editing NOPI Street Performance Compact Magazine. The name of this magazine was longer than its publishing life, but it was fun while it lasted.

I wound up selling my Xbox collection -- several of the games unopened -- at a yard sale. I think I made about $100 on the lot.

So, I do win from time to time.



That's why it wasn't a complete surprise when I received an e-mail from my gym congratulating me on winning the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award. And I don't even play golf.

I suspect the President singled me out because I go to the gym most days. How did he know? Like Santa Claus, I guess he knows when you are sleeping; he knows when you're awake.

Evidently there is some sort of push to reach a goal of 1 million Americans earning this award by September 14th of this year. Now they only have 999,999 to go.

I was quite full of myself for about 20 seconds until I read what it took to qualify.

Are you ready?

To win this award an adult must be active for 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week for 6 out of 8 weeks. There is no definition for active, so I'm not sure if mowing the lawn, waving at passing traffic or hanging clothes on the line qualifies.

If you do a little math, you find it works out to a total of 15 active hours in 8 weeks. Or 15 active hours out of 1,344 hours.

The President is patting people on the back for being active for 1 out of every 90 hours.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty low bar?

I guess it's like passing out trophies to all the kids in a tournament no matter how they performed.

Oh well, I guess a win is a win.
Of course the President didn't even bother to fill in my name in the appropriate space on the certificate.

I wonder if doing so myself will count toward my 30 minutes of activity today.

No comments:

Post a Comment