The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Laid Back in New Mexico

Sitting in my sister's living room in Los Lunas, N. Mex., I am already in leisure mode. How, you might ask, do I tell my usual do-little-to-nothing mode from my leisure mode? To an outside observer, I grant that the differences seem slight. But like a duck moving across a pond, what seems like an effortless task on the surface requires an explosive effort of swimming feet below the water line. I may not look like I'm doing much of anything as I work, and certainly my checking account reflects this, but my mind is always churning. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In any event, I am in leisure mode. Yesterday's blood pressure-inflating flying experience is now a distant memory. I did take advantage of the delay to find and watch the first half of the Steelers game on a TV in the bar of Chili's at Minneapolis airport. There my Delta-provided $10 lunch voucher rapidly disappeared under the weight of $8 draft beers. It must be nice to transform 80 cents of beer into more than a $7 profit. The joys of having a captive customer pool!

My revised connecting flight left Minneapolis on time. The two-and-a-half-hour flight was spent depleting the plane's supply of Woodford Reserve. I love being upgraded. Delta is also running a promo for free WiFi on its flights in December. I took advantage of that to keep track of the last few minutes of the Steelers game. A disappointing loss to the Jets that I hope isn't a preview of their first playoff game against a top-notch team. The offense played well and the loss may say more about the defense without Polamalu than about the current state of the offense.

So here I am at my sister's. Most of the discussion this morning has been about dinner plans. The ideal way to spend the first few hours of a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment