The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Back in the Saddle: Bringing a Great Week to an End

As I write this I am watching the sunrise from the window of my flight from Albuquerque to Atlanta. Delta upgraded me for both legs of my trip that will conclude in Charlotte. I did the math last night and realized that I will fall about 800 miles short of reaching Delta Platinum status this year. I can think of two California trips (one I canceled and the other I simply turned down) that would have easily put me over the top. Oh well…

Although a fair portion of the country is snowed in this morning, reports indicate that my flights today should be unaffected. Of course, I've learned never to count on the best-case scenario. Atlanta seems to be a magnet for the unexpected. If things go terribly wrong there, I can always get a car and drive home.

Longer than traditional, my Christmas trip to my sister's was an 8-day respite comprised mainly of lounging around, reading and eating everything that wasn't nailed down. Christmas is a big deal at her house. Decorating begins mid-November. My brother-in-law works tirelessly setting up a very intricate multi-tiered train layout under the tree. My oldest niece, who lives with them, is responsible for the tree. The outside of the house isn't quite the Griswold's, but I wouldn't hope to estimate the number of lights at play. My sister handles most of the smaller decorations arranged throughout the house. Baking and candy making also begin about the same time as the decorating. I resign myself to gaining no less than five pounds each Christmas visit.

This holiday was notable because the entire family was home. A bit overwhelming for a guy who lives by himself, the crowd gathered for Christmas dinner was loud, enthusiastic and half crazed. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

So as I head home, I am both a little sad and a bit anxious to get back into my comfortable routine. I actually have a work assignment that needs completing before the 31st, and that will occupy my daytime hours. I will also drag my bloated butt into the gym. After eight days of uncontrolled binge eating, I can't imagine how tough it will be to return to my workout routine.

With my next potential vacation not scheduled until my annual trip to South Florida for St. Paddy's Day, it's going to be a long, chilly winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment