The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day? Where the Hell Is Uncle Russ Day?

I’m not much of a complainer -- well, not too much anyway; but I'm going to let a complaint rip: Where in the hell is Uncle Russ Day?

I am in Louisville for the celebration of friends' 50th wedding anniversary and have run up against the brick wall of Father's Day. Do we really need a Father's Day? Do we need a Mother's Day, for that matter?

These special occasions concocted by the greeting-card companies and florists need to go along with Post Office/bank "Monday" holidays. All a "Monday" holiday means to me is that no paychecks will arrive, which is okay because I couldn't deposit them anyway; why? Because all the damn banks are closed.

I had no clue that Father's Day was this weekend. I'm not a father and mine has been dead since 1973 -- may he rest in peace. But here I am in Louisville and the restaurants are slammed because it's Father's Day. This disappointing development would be easier to swallow if there were an Uncle Russ Day.

I wouldn't mind being inconvenienced by throngs of families honoring their member fathers if I had a day myself.  But nooooo, every day is just another day for me.

And the fact that I have to wait in line an extra hour to have lunch on these made-up holidays just makes it all the more painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment