The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Sunday, June 23, 2019

A Kitchen Remodel May Happen Yet!

My Greenville homestead.
I'm not the kind of guy to rush into things, this despite the fact I chose my last two houses on the first day of those house hunts. Although it took a bit longer to submit a contract for the Boynton Beach house I purchased in 2001, I saw my Greenville house on day one of my search and submitted an offer three days later. The three-day cooling-down period for the Greenville house was only because I found it on a Greenville trip on Friday, and had to wait until I was back in Florida on Monday morning to get things rolling.

Should I have taken a little more time in finding a house in Greenville? Yes, indeed. But, my Boynton house doubled in value in three years. It caused me to think I was an expert when I pulled the trigger on the Greenville home. Yeah, right.

Any way, I don't typically rush into things, particularly when it involves big sums of money. I've been shopping for a car for 28 years, for example.

Other than some smaller, niggling maintenance jobs around the house, the next big project will be remodeling the kitchen. A task requiring ripping out and replacing all the bottom cabinets, relocating the sink, fridge and dishwasher, putting down a new floor in the kitchen and dining area, replacing the counter top, and replacing all the appliances. There is a bit of related work, as well, like cutting away some of the upper cabinet where the refrigerator will eventually reside. Even doing the work myself, I'm figuring a number somewhere between $10,000 and $12,000. Ouch.

My intention was to embark on this journey last fall, but my paying work began evaporating in September and dried up to an agonizing trickle by the end of November. Like the grasshopper, I hadn't prepared for such a winter downturn. When my work had been flowing, I was putting money into video gear and trips to shoot segments for BEER2WHISKEY. Rolling into January 1 of this year, I didn't have one penny more in savings than I had on that date a year earlier. In fact, my savings was down about 15 percent. The kitchen project was on hold.

The first quarter this year wasn't any better. I wasn't even thinking about the kitchen remodel. Heck, I was contemplating selling the house. Like someone flipping a switch, work began again in earnest in April and continues.

Having shoveled some money into my savings, I am now pondering the kitchen remodel again. One stumbling block had always been, how much to do? At some point, I will sell this house. Even though I own it free and clear, it's never really free or clear. There are taxes, insurance and, maintenance costs. A couple unavoidable maintenance costs, such as a new roof, sewer line, air handler and so forth, all come due eventually. I don't want to deal with any of them. The stay-or-sell question's answer has always been, sell; but when? If I'm going to sell soon, I will do less in the kitchen. I won't relocate things, for one. It won't mean a whole lot in the cost, but will take much less time.

Recently, one of the cracker-box houses across the side street from me (I live on a corner lot.), was purchased by an investment company that has poured tens of thousands into it. That project is wrapping up. This past week, a dumpster appeared in the driveway of the vacant house next to it. Oh, be still my heart. I've been waiting 11 years for someone to begin pouring some bucks into my neighborhood, which once was the married-officers quarters for Donaldson Air Force Base. I live off of one of Greenville's major drags: Augusta Street (or Road, depending where on it you are). Less than a mile up Augusta are $300,000 plus homes. I've been waiting all these years for that to spread south. Looks like it may now be doing just that.

So, now I am thinking that I will stay another couple of years, at least, and let my house follow the neighborhood up in value.

In my spare time the past few days, I've been online looking at kitchen cabinets and dreaming. I'm still not quite ready to make a move, but I'm getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment