The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Super Bowl Blues


I'm not the kind of guy to cry over spilled milk. As I prepare myself to attend a Super Bowl party later today to watch a game in which I have little interest, I can't help but think about how the Steelers squandered yet another season with a team that should have, at the very least, made it into the playoffs, if not the Super Bowl.

When a team begins its season by being played to a draw by the less-than-dynamic Cleveland Browns, you know there is a problem and it originates at the top. I have always been a fan of Mike Tomlin, but how can you explain fielding a team brimming with talent to so little effect, if not an issue of coaching?

I can't.

Sure there was some drama within the Steelers ranks. Bell sitting out the season in a snit for one example. The front office miscalculated when they supposed he would eventually show up for practice rather than lose nearly $10 million. Clearly he is willing to sacrifice short term-money for long-term wealth. Or, maybe he just doesn't really want to play football anymore. That's a possibility. In either case, his talent was missed, particularly in the scramble in the season's closing days to squeak into the playoffs. Then there was Antonio Brown who may have so poisoned his relationship with the team that he can't effectively come back.

But, historically, these sorts of troubles aren't reserved just for the Steelers. Every team has its drama.

Nope, the Steelers missing the playoffs is a failure of leadership plain and simple. And because it is, I don't see a way through. Next season will be a repeat of this season. Talent and opportunity wasted.

Now I find myself forced to pull for the Rams today, if I even pay any attention at all. What a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment