The Whiskey Vault

The Whiskey Vault
This year's Whiskey Vault outing with Texas Auto Writer Association buddies in Austin for the Texas Truck Rodeo.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Nelson DeMille: The Ideal Winter Read

Sadly I am down to the final 100 pages or so of the latest Nelson DeMille novel: The Panther.


I write "sadly" because, as with all DeMille's works,  it's one of those books I keep reading because I need to learn what happens next, but I don't want it to end.

It's a "page turner," as they say.

I read a lot of fiction. At any given time I usually have two books going. One is fiction and the other either a biography, political commentary, history or look at current affairs. The fiction I usually read at night before bed and on airplanes. The nonfiction I carry to restaurants and watering holes when I'm going to be myself.


DeMille is, without a doubt, my favorite contemporary author. He is a master craftsman who knows how to create compelling characters while brilliantly constructing their story.

With the exception of his early co-written work Mayday, I highly recommend anything and everything he's penned.


If you aren't a fan, the title you might be familiar with is The General's Daughter, made into a John Travolta film.

Since 1997,  DeMille has primarily concentrated on his John Corey character. The Panther is the sixth in the Corey series. If you haven't read them, go to Amazon now and download the first in the series, Plum Island. The Kindle version is only $ .99.

Any reader on your Christmas list will appreciate the introduction to DeMille and John Corey.

Corey is a smartass of monumental proportions. A former NYPD detective, he winds up in the FBI joint task force on terrorism. Every book in the series is a marvelous read and is riddled with historical references.


Because the series is packed with reoccurring characters, you'll want to read the books in order. Once you've conquered Plum Island, move on to the next. Here's the rest of the list:

1.      The Lion's Game
2.      Night Fall
3.      Wild Fire
4.      The Lion
5.      The Panther

Before reading The Panther, you might want to read The General's Daughter. Its primary character teams with John Corey in The Panther.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment